Kukkutasana is also called rooster pose. This yoga is mentioned in ancient yoga scriptures like Hatha Yoga Pradipika and Gheranda Samhita. It is a complex posture that requires arm strength to perform well.
Technique and Steps of Kukkutasana:
- To do Kukkutasana yoga, first you spread a yoga mat and sit on it in the position of Padmasana Yoga.
- Now put both your hands between your thighs and calves.
- You have to sit in the position of Padmasana and put your right hand between the right thigh and the calf towards the floor.
- Now you have to put the left hand like the right hand between the left thigh and the left calf, down towards the floor.
- You have to remove both your hands from the thighs and calves down to the elbows.
- Now place the palms of both your hands well on the floor, 3-4 inches away from each other.
- Then you raise your hips slowly slowly and feet above the floor while balancing on both hands.
- You should stay in this Kukkutasana yoga position for 1 to 5 minutes, or you can do it as per your convenience.
- During this yoga, keep your breath normal.
Benefits Of Kukkutasana yoga:
- Kukkutasana yoga is considered to be very good yoga to keep our heart healthy. Several studies have proved that poultry prevents the risk of heart attack and high cholesterol etc. This yoga opens the chest and promotes blood flow which keeps the heart healthy. Apart from this, Kukkutasana yoga ensures smooth flow of blood so that the arteries remain free from cholesterol formation.
- Kukkutasana Yoga strengthens your arms and shoulder. The best thing about poultry is that it stretches your entire upper body including the abdomen, chest, hands and shoulders, and helps in the flow of blood in these areas which strengthens and tones the muscles. Daily practice of this yoga reduces the risk of injury and any kind of pain in the stomach, chest, hands and shoulders can be cured.
- Regular practice of poultry is very good for digestive health and helps in the prevention of digestive problems such as constipation. By doing this yoga, there is pressure on the stomach organs, which has increased the production of enzymes and digestive juices. As a result, the food eaten is easily digested leading to good health.
- You can tone your bicep and triceps muscles with regular practice of Kukkutasana yoga. During this yoga, the weight of your entire body is on your arms which not only increases blood circulation but also tones them. With the increase in blood flow in this yoga, the muscles get the necessary nutrition resulting in their growth.
- Kukkutasana yoga is very beneficial to reduce your heavy stomach and reduce belly fat. To reduce your weight you should practice this yoga on daily basis. Kukkutasana yoga puts a lot of pressure on your abdominal muscles. By which your abdominal muscles get toned and excess fat is reduced from the area.
You need to take special care while performing this Yogasana:
- Those who have heart disease should avoid doing kukkutasana yoga.
- If you have pain in your hands and especially arms, then this yoga should not be done in such a situation.
- Do not do this yoga in case of pain in the shoulders. Otherwise it can increase your discomfort further.
- People who have difficulty in elbow flexion or elbow problem, those people should stay away from doing this yoga.
- The patient suffering from spleen problem should not do Kukkutasana Yoga.
- While doing this yoga take special care that this yoga should be done on an empty stomach.
- If you have blood flow or other type of problem in your wrist veins, then this yoga is not recommended.
- Even if you have sprains in your hands and shoulders, you should avoid doing this yoga till the sprain is cured.