Jal Neti is a technique used by yogis to remain disease free. The most important thing of Jal Neti is that after doing it you can breathe well during any yoga practice without any hindrance.
Just as teeth hygiene is dental hygiene, the practice of jal neti is nasal hygiene. By performing this action, the nasal passage and the passage from the nostril to the throat are purified. Jal Neti technique is used to clean the respiratory system and remove toxins from the nasal passages. Let us know in detail the benefits, disadvantages, methods and precautions.
Jal Neti is an ancient Indian yoga technique which literally means “cleansing with water”. This action is usually performed daily in the morning along with other cleaning practices. Jal Neti is a natural technique that yogis use to prevent respiratory diseases.
Yoga and Ayurveda suggest different ways to cleanse your body so that it can work better. This action has been specially designed for ‘Nose cleaner’.
During the nasal cleansing process, the nasal cavity is washed with water to remove debris and mucus from the nose. It also helps fight throat problems and relieve sinuses. Let us know in detail the action of Jal neti.
To perform Jal Neti you need some material and equipment. If you want to make water, then take the following material.
- A neti pot
- A pinch of salt
- Lukewarm water
Neti Pot – Neti pot is usually a small appliance or vessel and has a long spout on one side, which is sufficient to gently pour water into one nostril during the procedure.
Steps to do Jal Neti (Nasal Cleansing Yoga) –
Jal Neti Kriya is a type of yoga that is slightly different from the normal yoga posture. Jal neti kriya is a technique of cleaning our nasal passages. To perform the Jal Neti, do the following steps:
- To do Jal neti yoga, you should take one neti pot, which should be well set in your nose.
- Now take a little hot water ie lukewarm water (temperature 38-40 degree Celsius) in this neti pot and add a pinch of salt to it i.e. 1 liter of water per 1 teaspoon of salt. Take care not to mix too much salt in water.
- To perform Jala Neti, sit down and keep a short distance between your two legs.
- Start breathing through your mouth and tilt your head slightly down.
- You can also do Jal Neti Yoga by standing and bending slightly from the waist.
- Now take a neti pot filled with water and put it in your right nose and add water slowly.
- Take out this water from the left nose.
- Now again put a neti pot in the left nose and pour water and take it out from the right nose.
- Keep in mind that water is to be poured slowly and in small quantities.
- You can do this activity with both the nostrils, you can do Jala Neti Yoga by standing and bending slightly from the waist.
It cannot be said about the number of times the water should be consumed, but it can be said that you can usually pour up to half a liter of water from each nose at a time. Since it is a purification activity, it should not be included in the daily lifestyle. Jal Neti technique can be used whenever the nasal passages need cleaning.
Jal Neti (Nasal Cleansing Yoga) of Benefits –
- Headache is a common thing nowadays, most people are troubled by the problem of headache. You can resort to Jal Neti technique to cure headaches. Regular practice of this activity helps to reduce chronic headaches and migraines.
- This technique cleans your respiratory tract. Jal Neti is very helpful in prevention of cold and cough. It also prevents sneezing of allergies.
- Jal Neti Yoga Kriya helps to cure sinusitis, diseases of the eyes, nose and throat, tonsillitis, catarrh as well as inflammation of adenoids and mucus membrane.
- Jal Neti techniques are very beneficial for the eyes. It treats many problems and diseases related to eyes such as sore throat, night blindness, retardation, etc. Jal Neti Kriya makes your eyes shiny and beautiful.
- Despite the young age, hair problems are quite common these days. Jal Neti is beneficial for hair health and prevents premature hair fall, brown hair and other hair condition.
- There are many people who suffer from insomnia or cannot sleep. To cure insomnia, Jal Neti is one of the effective yoga procedures. This yoga helps in reducing the symptoms of drowsiness and gets rid of its regular practice.
- Jail Neti Yoga helps to sharpen your memory and eliminate the problem of forgetting. It calms the nervous system and the mind. It helps to relieve stress and brings clarity in the mind. The Gel Neti Kriya helps improve the quality of your meditation.
You should take the following precautions while performing Jal Neti Kriya –
- Use clean water to perform Jal Neti.
- Do not use too much salt in water to use this action.
- After performing Jal Neti Kriya, you should do either Kapalabhati or Bhastrika Pranayama to dry the nasal area.
- During the Jati Neti Kriya, breathe through your mouth only.
- People with high blood pressure should be careful during this action.
- If someone feels dizzy while the nose is dry, it should be done standing upright.
- This action should be practiced under the guidance of a yoga expert.